Thursday, April 28, 2011

Safe from the Storms

I think it's safe to say that this past month has provided some of the worst storms in a very long time.

Before yesterday's line of storms took its toll on the Southeast (and nearly 250 lives in six states), the American Red Cross had already confirmed 300 tornado's nationwide in April alone.
Damage in Ringgold, Ga

As yesterday's evening storms were making their way through Alabama, my eyes were glued to Channel 2. I was thankful that Austin came home from work early (well, 6:30 is pretty early this time of year). We were watching the news and American Idol when we noticed that the storms moving into Georgia were headed straight towards Cartersville, and then possibly towards Canton. And that was just the first storm. There were three or four more behind that one. We considered heading south towards Woodstock to stay in Austin's aunt and uncle's house with a basement but the first storm we were monitoring on the TV had just turned more eastward and was heading directly to the middle of Cherokee County. So we made a quick decision to drive north to Jasper to hide out in Austin's other aunt and uncle's basement.

Unfortunately, we don't have a basement - nor does anyone else on our street.We quickly packed a bag, went to pick up my sister and brother-n-law and drove north into Pickens County. I think Austin was driving about 90 mph the entire way. Once we arrived, Pickens County was under its first tornado warning, which was followed by several more warnings and then severe thunderstorms. 

I kept in touch with my neighbor Lisa who lives two houses down. Thankfully, a tornado didn't touch down in our neighborhood. Pickens County, however, is one of the 16 counties in Georgia under a state of emergency.

Once the tornado warnings had moved out of Northwest Georgia, I watched as the storms traveled east toward Lumpkin, Dawson and Hall counties. I was thankful that my mom and stepdad in Hall County and in-law's in Dawson County both had basements. And another storm was moving into Atlanta at the same time so that made me nervous that my dad had been stuck at the airport since the early afternoon.


My heart goes out to those affected by the storms. They have devastated parts of the Southeast, including Tuscaloosa and Northwest Georgia, and even worse, taken the lives of almost 250 people. 

More damage in Ringgold, Ga

This time of year - and specifically tornado season - always reminds of the 7th grade. A tornado ripped through Gainesville, taking several lives and damaging much of northern Hall County. My good friend, Michele Lester, showed up in hospital scrubs at my front door. Her entire house had been taken out by the tornado. Luckily, she woke up in her bed outside in her front yard and everyone in her family survived.

Photos courtesy of the AJC.

No comments:

Post a Comment