Thursday, June 30, 2011

Myth Bustin' Montana-Style

I just spent several days in beautiful West Glacier, Montana. There are really no words to describe just how breathtaking Montana is. The weather was a bit chillier than I thought it would be - and even cooler in the evenings. I sure am glad I made that last-minute trip to REI.

The reason behind my trip out west was to attend Meg Cary and Bennett Sumrell's wedding. Meg and I were college roomies for a year and a half at North Georgia College & State University. So myself and few other crazy college friends made the trip to West Glacier - and I sure am glad I did!

I flew out of Atlanta early Thursday morning (as in Austin and I left the house at 4 a.m.), arrived in Chicago at about 7 a.m., met up with the one and only Whitney Rice, and we arrived in Kalispell, Montana at about 12:30 p.m. After Meg and Emily picked me, Whit, Elaine and Christy up at the airport, we went into Whitefish to catch up, drink some wine and get ready for a night out on the town.

The pizza place we ate at was delicious! Liza a.k.a Lizard came to meet us for the night from Missoula, about three hours away, and Meg's friends - Rachel, Marissa, Ashley and Avid - also joined us for a fun and absolutely ridiculous night out!

Emily, myself, Christy, Lizard, Whit and Meg
After dinner, we went to a few places in Whitefish, local bars and such. Huckleberries are everywhere in Glacier, even in the beer! Watch out - it'll creep up on ya!

My Christy



Whit, Meg, myself, Christy and that Lizard
The following picture was taken on our first trip inside of Glacier National Park. Just lovely.


The next picture is of Avalanche Creek - one of the most beautiful things I saw the entire trip. I can't get over how white the water is!


On Friday, we spent most of the day inside the park and at the resort. The rehearsal dinner was so much fun. We sat around outside, talking, eating...and mostly drinking. Meg had arranged a shuttle for us crazy kids to ride in to and from the dinner. Does this bride know her guests or what?

The guys actually talked the restaurant into letting us take the keg back with us to the resort. Just picture a keg in the back of a school bus.


After the rehearsal dinner, we all went back and sat around the campfire...and yep, drank some more. Someone's crazy uncle was shooting off fireworks, Bennett's sister was lighting up sparklers. I'm just glad our chalet didn't go up in flames!

On Saturday morning, we went inside the park to take a wooden boat tour on Lake McDonald. I just can't get enough of the snow-capped mountains...our tour guide filled us in on all sorts of Glacier history, like how the mountains were formed, what makes the water so blue, and how forest fires are actually a good thing.


After our tour and afternoon inside the park, we went back to the resort to get ready for the wedding. Meg was already getting her hair and make up done. This is us standing on the front porch before heading to the wedding site. Props to Elaine for heading over early to hand out invitations.

Christy, myself, Meg, Whit and Emily
Wedding Ceremony
The wedding was absolutely stunning. It was the most intimate ceremony I've ever attended. And, speaking on behalf of someone that's witnessed quite a few weddings, I think I can say that. Meg and Bennett were only focused on each other, but imagine watching two people say their "I Do's" while standing in front of the most beautiful snow-covered mountains ever. It even brought tears to Whitney's eyes. And Christy - well, she balled like a baby. It was a little embarrassing.

After the ceremony, we walked down to the reception site, which was set up perfectly. The trout (with huckleberries I might add) and wine was delic, the band was a blast, and the photo booth was quite the hit. 

I hate that my trip in Montana trip is over..mostly because it isn't too often that I get to see these girls all at the same time. We all live in different locations - Dallas, Canton, Dahlonega, Atlanta, Gainesville, Asheville and Westcliffe. But fortunately, we all have Dahlonega, Ga. to thank for bringing us all together! I sure had some fun times with these lovely ladies in college - most of our stories can probably not be repeated on this blog - but needless to say, we've never skipped a beat when we're all together and this trip did not disappoint. I laughed, literally, until I cried...and on about 137 different times during the trip. I have sore abs to prove it!

Congrats to Meg and Bennett and thank you for allowing me to be a part of your wedding. I hope you both are enjoying your time in Canada. 

And, I'd like to give a shout-out to Marissa, Ashley and Avid - hope to see you crazy girls again real soon (I'm guessing at our next Myth Buster's meeting?)! And in case I forgot to say this Sunday, I apologize on behalf of everyone for any crude, rude and utterly absurd behavior you may have witnessed. :) 


Photo Booth!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I am super jelly! The pics are great!

    ReplyDelete