Monday, January 3, 2011

My New Year's Resolutions

I've never been good about making New Year's Resolutions...and not because I thought they'd be broken two months in but because I just never really put much thought into it before.

So, here goes mine for 2011!

1. Continue to limit my soft drink intake (mainly Sprite, sweet tea) to one per week. I'm usually pretty good with this so we'll see!

2. Be more patient. I'd say this is probably my worst quality - I'm horribly inpatient. I absolutely do not like to wait in lines, sit in traffic, be on hold, etc., etc. :)

3. No texting & driving. Ever. Not even at a red light. Yes, I still occasionally text and drive. I'll try to be better!

4. Be better about spending money. As much as I like to see money go into that savings account, I'm a sucker for the impulse buy - or instant gratification. Is that the same thing? Whichever the case, once I have my mind set on something I want, there's no turning back. I think Austin just needs to learn to tell me NO. :)

5. Read at least 10 books in 2011. I just finished the Twilight Saga (I'm Team Edward btw) - it was so good, a little slow at parts, but overall I loved it! I'm currently reading But Inside I'm Screaming by Elizabeth Flock. And thankfully, I just go over to Brittney Blevins Smith's house whenever I want a new book - she has hundreds! It's pretty much like I don't ever have to walk into another book store.

6. Have a garage sale! I once helped my mom participate in a neighborhood yard sale. I don't think I really got into it because, well, I wasn't the one making any of the money (I was most likely hungover). Although the money would be quite nice, my reason for wanting to have a garage sale is because of the never-ending pile of stuff accumulating in my extra closets upstairs, downstairs, in the garage, and under my bed. I HATE clutter. So I'm hopeful that my neighborhood will have a garage sale this spring - and I won't have to do any of the planning. :)

7. Start a Supper Club. This is actually already in the works! Our first Supper Club is slated for later this month - I believe on Thursdays - so hopefully everything will work out because I'm kinda excited! Those participating: Blevins', Smith's, Fischhaber's, Battle's, Abell's and Lark's. Anyone else is, of course, welcome to join! Just let me know!

8. Be better about sending cards (via snail mail). I send a tremendous amount of text messages and emails. Let's be honest...that's just how I'd rather communicate. This year I want to be better about sending individual birthday cards (in addition to the FB wall post and phone call). I used to do this, but have gotten away from it. Could it be the ridiculous price of a Hallmark card? Possibly. I love checking the mail every day and I love opening mail that ISN'T a bill. So, I'm going to be better about sending birthday cards this year. And hopefully I'll actually send a Christmas card next year. I didn't have time this past Christmas - so maybe I'll send a Happy New Year card to everyone? Maybe. You'll just have to wait and see!

9.Be OK with not having plans every single weekend. This one might be a little bit hard for me. I love having something to look forward to. I love planning things (most of the time anyway). My weeks are filled with working, driving, cleaning, running errands, etc. I can't help it if I live for the weekends - and I know that most of you do too. By nature, I'm a planner. I plan things in my personal life and I plan for a living. So, this one's for Austin. I am going to try to be better about not planning out my (I mean "our") entire weekends.

10. Say "NO" more often. I've finally realized that I don't have to reply "yes" to every wedding shower, baby shower, party, dinner out, wedding, etc. It's OK to say "no" once in a while - starting now.

As I was typing these out, I didn't even mean to stop at #10. Maybe that's a sign that I'll fulfill all of my 2011 resolutions? Hope so! I do wonder what would be people's #1 resolution every year? My guess would be to exercise, which was not listed as one of my resolutions. I really do enjoy exercising - it makes me feel better - and I think that exercise should be a lifestyle - not a resolution.

So, here's to 2011! Hope everyone has a healthy and prosperous year!

No comments:

Post a Comment